doing the PKU diet It is an action that patients with phenylketonuria have to do for their health. Phenylketonuria is a disease that prevents the metabolism of a substance called phenylalanine found in foods. If left untreated, it can cause severe mental retardation and serious nervous system diseases in infants.
Foods That Are Forbidden To Eat On The PKU Diet
Patients with phenylketonuria need to comply with a certain diet. In this diet list, there are foods that are forbidden to be consumed, that can be consumed freely and that should be consumed in a limited way. Phenylketonuria sample diet listThe foods that can never be found in the food can be listed as follows;
- Consumption of milk and dairy products is strictly prohibited. It is forbidden to consume ayran, milk, yoghurt, cheese and all foods made with them.
- Eggs should never be consumed.
- Consumption of ready-made products such as cakes, cookies, crackers and pastries is prohibited.
- Consumption of nuts, including all varieties, is prohibited.
- It is forbidden to consume legumes such as dried kidney beans, broad beans, and dried beans.
- Consumption of meat and meat products is strictly prohibited. Shellfish, sausage, sausage, bacon, turkey meat, etc. Not all products should be consumed.
- Consumption of wheat, cornbread, rye and all normal types of bread is prohibited.
- It is forbidden to consume animal internal organs such as kidney, liver, brain.
- It is forbidden to consume products such as beverages, food and chewing gum containing phenylalanine and aspartame.
Free-to-Eat Foods on the PKU Diet
following the PKU diet Patients with phenylketonuriaFoods that are free to consume can be listed as follows;
- plain rock candy
- plain Turkish delight
- Corn starch
- Tea sugar
- Liquid oil
- compote juice
- Apple juice
- soft drinks
Foods to be Consumed Limited in the PKU Diet
PKU dietThe foods that should be consumed in a limited way can be listed as follows;
- Grape molasses
- bakery foods